My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Valance Victory

Lately I've been itching to be creative, to change something.

I considered painting our spare bedroom, but I hate painting. I bought the blue paint for it in May 2010, but still haven't worked up the desire to actually do it. I keep thinking it's time, but then decide I'd rather not. I may never do it.

I've also been considering window treatments for that bedroom since May. I've tried a few different options, but nothing really fit.

Until now.

You like how I spaced that to make it all dramatic? I'll do it again.

Until now.

*Shivers*

Today's project is comparable to my NYE dress project. I started with a bridesmaid dress and made window valances! Just kidding. I started with a full-sized fitted sheet.

Zane and I bought these sheets for our trip out west, when we were staying in KOA camps where you bring your own bedsheets (BYOB). I didn't want to bring our nice ones from home, so we bought these. They were cheap, and they are really rough. Not comfortable. Not worth remaining as sheets.

I chose to work from the fitted sheet, because I assumed we would have less use for it than the other one.

First I cut the elastic in the corners, so sheet could lie flat.  
 
I folded it in half longways. When I got it as flat as possible, I cut off the rounded ends. I made sure to keep it at least 60'' in length, which was the length I needed for the bigger of the two windows.

I measured the width of the sheet while folded, and discovered that I could cut it straight down the middle (longways) and have more than enough for 18'' wide valances (as in 18x60'' and 18x48'').

 I used my knowledge of how to make window valances from this valance project last fall. I could have used a pattern, but I like figuring things out for my own. Plus, I didn't want to leave the house and buy a pattern. This was kind of a spontaneous project. 

So here is phase one for window one. I thought it was pretty bland. You agree. Blando. 

I considered lace, buttons, or belt things to spice it up, but then I remembered I had this:
I bought this sweater last year and accidentally shrunk it in the dryer after wearing it ONE TIME! I was really really mad at myself, but I threw it in my sewing drawer instead of the trash. 

It's time has finally come. 

First I cut off the collar, which was incredibly thick (it looks like a hood in that first picture). The collar is what made that sweater so cute. Then, I cut it into four strips. I'll keep the rest of the sweater for another project. 

From there, I sewed each strip at the ends, to made four separate loops. 

I wrapped two loops around each valance and arranged it like so:

Tada!

Shades open.

Pretty cute, though I say so myself. 

From the moment I thought, "I could make valances today," to the moment I finished putting away my supplies, the entire project took three hours.  

At the end of the day, I told Zane, "Ugh. I haven't done anything productive today." He said, "You made window things!" I guess I don't count fun projects as productive, but they can be!

Comments

Heather said…
I love painting! If you ever want to make a weekend of it, I'd happily drive up, stay the night(s), and help you finish :)

Only if we get to go to SAK. haha. And maybe 4Rivers BarBQue. And I get to fully enjoy your company.
Unknown said…
Oops, I commented through my other blog. Ignore it. I gave up that blog. haha.
Kathy said…
Very impressed with your ingenuity Deborah!!

Popular Posts