My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Baby Shower Prayer Verse




One wonderful baby shower tradition from our church in Orlando is to pray over the new baby by name and with Bible verses. I don't know who started this, but it's excellent. It was my favorite part of Daisy's shower, and I've made them for other friends since then too. 

In typical baby #2 fashion, we didn't have a baby shower for Amy, which is totally okay, because we have a ton of baby stuff already. The only thing I was sad about was the lack of opportunity for a group of people to pray over Amy like we did for Daisy. 

I decided to go ahead and make some verse cards for Amy before she was born. We finally prayed over Amy at a little Valentine's Day party for her when she was about four months old. 

This is a great tradition to start with your expecting mommy friends! But it doesn't just have to be used for baby showers. One friend at Amy's party mentioned wanting to make them for her grandkids just to have guided prayer times for them. God has already written the scripture, so we don't really have to think of great things to say while praying. Using these cards provides a great way to pray His truths for others. 

Here's the tutorial: 

1. Choose five coordinating 12''x12'' scrapbook sheets from your craft store. I did sports-themed ones for a friend of mine, who had a sports-themed shower. I did ladybug ones for my sister's ladybug shower. For Amy, I just chose pretty greens and pinks, because I liked them! They ended up being perfect for her Valentine's day party. 

2. Cut them in four equal squares, 6''x6'' each. This will make 19 verse cards and one title page. 


3. Find 19 verses and insert the baby's and parent's names where appropriate. I've included my two documents at the bottom of this post as a template. Please feel free to download and alter as needed! There's one document for girls and one for boys. The only difference is the pronoun use and fonts. Double-check your work to make sure each verse reads correctly!

4. Cut the verses out. I made mine 5'' wide and didn't worry about the height too much.


5. Hole punch the tops of each card. I punch two holes at the top and bind them all together with a ribbon. It's good to hole punch at this stage, before you start gluing, so you can center the verse the way you want under the holes. 


6. Glue stick your verses onto the cards. 


7. Sort the cards in whatever order you like for the different scrapbook patterns. You'll most likely have to do this again, because at the shower, the cards will be passed out so everyone can have a card to pray aloud during the prayer time. I usually just re-sort them after the prayer time before giving the pack to the momma. 


8. Thread a ribbon through the holes and tie a bow! That's it!



When I have led this prayer time in the past, I just pass the stack around (minus the title page) and ask each participant to take one or two verses. Then I ask someone to open in prayer and close, and everyone else to pray their prayer cards and whatever else they feel led to pray. Personally, I like to pray in a circle, because then you just know who's going next, but that's my organized personality coming out.

For me, it's a super emotional experience to have people pray over your child and family by name with verses. I was very weepy during Daisy's shower and during my neice's shower when we prayed over her. The Word of God, people!! It's powerful!

Thanks for reading!

Baby Verse Templates:

Baby Girl
Baby Boy

Unfortunately, Google Docs doesn't support multiple columns, so I suggest copying the file content and formatting it in your own word processor.

  1. Use landscape orientation. 
  2. Set your margins at .5'' all around
  3. Split the document into two columns. Set the space between columns at 1'' for easier cutting. 
  4. Find and replace the names of the baby, mom, and dad for customized verse cards! 
Also, if you have trouble downloading and editing these, you can email me, and I'd be glad to send you the Word Document files in an attachment: deb.kenn22 [at] gmail [dot] com

You can also use the "contact me" link on my blog.



Comments

Popular Posts