My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Sewing is spelled weird.

Guess what?! My mom gave me a sewing machine! In 2008! I just pulled it out of the box! Call me a lamehead, but I didn't have a sewing table and I didn't want to ruin my dining room table that I slaved over for hours refinishing.

(Space Odyssey music playing) Bahm....Bahmmmm...Bahmmmmm...
Ba-Bum!!!! (dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum)

Yes, this is a Brother sewing machine that has like 20-something stitches and a sweet set up for the bobbin. My mom's sewing machine bobbin part gives me a headache. This one is soooo easy. Love it.

Since I went through all the trouble to get my machine out, I decided to sew something. I went through my fabric and tried to think of a project. (I'm a quick start, so I sometimes just do something when it pops into my head, like finding a sewing project in 30 seconds).

I had this old window valance from our hall bathroom in my fabric drawer. I forgot to take before pictures, so this is a mid-project picture. The valance was 45 inches long, so I cut it into thirds to make three throw pillows. Here's one of  the cuts:
It's kind of cinched at the top because I hadn't ironed it yet. There are only two panels shown in this picture because I had already made this panel into a pillow:

This photo is sideways and I don't know how to rotate it in blogger. Use your imagination.

Pillows are the easiest thing to sew. For any beginners, I totally recommend pillows. Four straight stitches. One hole for stuffing, and then close it up. It's like taking a first grade math test...as an adult. I actually had a hard time with math in first grade. Carrying the one is a difficult concept for a seven year-old.

Here's my final product.

With two pillows (the ones on the outside) I left stitches that made up the part of the valance where the bar goes to hold it on the window. I plan on threading ribbons through that part and tying them in a bow on either side. I'll post a picture when I do that.

I ripped those stitches out of the middle pillow, so it would be a rectangular pillow. As a set, I think they look very nice. They speak to me.

They say things like, "Hey there, stranger. Why don't you come and sit on my futon?"
And, "Come to me....come and sit on my futon...."
The other day I saw them wave their hand over Rufio's face and say, "This is not the droid you are looking for. You will sit on the futon."

Comments

Mrs. T. said…
Wonderful!! I used to sew pillows, too. My machine has been in the closet for the last 12 years! One day...
Kathy said…
You are right . . . the pretty pillows do invite others to sit and chat awhile.

Popular Posts