My Etsy Shop - Instagram

HISMSV - Apache Trail

HISMSV - How I spent my summer vacation

One of the places we visited out west was the Apache Trail, just east of Phoenix on a section SR 88. It's called the Apache Trail because Apache Indians built the road. It's cut out of the side of the mountains, and some sections of the road are down right scary! The most beautiful sections of the road are not even paved. We're talking dangerous... and adventurous.

Right as the paved road ends (on the east side of the trail) there is this beautiful suspension bridge.

And on the other side of the bridge is the Roosevelt Dam. Guess which Roosevelt it's named after. I'll give you a compliment if you guess right.


It was incredibly HOT that day. So we took advantage of the lake and went swimming. It was pretty cool to swim in Lake Apache. The mountains all around the lake were so pretty. Nothing like this in Florida.
We stopped at a bunch of scenic look-outs. Here I'm trying to reinact a photo that I took in Nicaragua, but it's really hard to capture desert massiveness. The depth perception of the camera is pathetic.
Those mountains are miles away from me, but they don't look it.

Also, along the Apache Trail there are two ghost town-type towns.
Don't be deceived. Both "Ghost Towns" are not actually deserted. They are tourist attractions that look like old timey towns. They're fun for what they are, but I was pretty disappointed that they weren't real ghost towns. I wanted to have the Scooby Doo ghost town experience.

All in all, I'd recommend this little piece of Arizona to anyone near Phoenix who is looking for a fun day trip. Lake Apache is also a recreational lake, and there were many people out on boats. I would have LOVED to go out on a boat and ride through the canals and see mountains from that spectacular view. Next time. :)


Comments

Mrs. T. said…
Love these photos!
Kathy said…
Sounds like a wonderful get-away vacation. How sweet it is.

Popular Posts