My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Floral Signs

My birthday is coming!

You know how I know?

These:
Who needs a calendar when you have azaleas?! These are blooming outside our bedroom window.

Azaleas might be my favorite flower. When we were house hunting, I leaned toward the homes with azaleas. I think it's because every house I lived in as a child had azaleas. I always knew my birthday was near when they started blooming. Our destinies are intertwined. Like Arthur Clennam and Little Dorrit. Sorry, too much Dickens lately.

Another harbinger flower is this one:
I don't know what it is, but it grows on hedges. When I see this flower, I know that allergy season is near.

When I was a kid, my grandparents had a huge hedge of this plant. It was so big, you could play inside it. My sisters and I would play pioneers or boxcar kids and set up a home in the hedge. I couldn't play outside with them for more than 30 minutes until my allergies took over. I have a secret hatred (not secret anymore) for this plant. When I see it's white blossoms, I curse the ground upon which it grows.

But, let's not think of that horrid white flower. Let's think of this lovely harbinger of birthday and spring:

Azaleas.

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Give your sweetheart an azalea! Or try this romantic gesture. It gets me every time!

Comments

Popular Posts