My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Written Treasure

My parent's have an old traveller's trunk in their living room. It was passed down through my dad's side of the family. One of his relatives brought it over from Europe when they first immigrated (or emigrated?). It's kind of like a treasure chest, holding some very precious treasures: my memories from growing up.

I brought many of its contents home this weekend including my yearbooks, diaries and creative writing journals from school.

I'm in heaven.

I've been reading through my creative writing journals, and it's like I've struck gold. My sixth grade self is hilarious, my tenth grade self is inspiring. I'll share this little nugget with you. The prompt was to write about our goals. Here's an excerpt of what I said on August 14, 2000:

"I have many goals for each school year. As the year goes on, more goals come and go. For instance, I'll decide to do 30 sit-ups every night to keep in shape. My goal will fade as I come home tired everyday. My goals for this year would, right now, be to just come through with an A in each subject...

"...My one life goal as of now is to publish a book. I like to write fictional stories."

Don't worry, 14 year-old Deborah! You will accomplish this goal before your life is over!

I'll continue to share treasures from the trunk as I find them worthy of blog posts. Trust me, it's hard to decide, because everything seems worthy to me. I mean, I wrote it all! I'm kinda a big deal...to myself.

Comments

Lydia said…
I was reading through my old journals the other day and thought I had some pretty poetic thoughts, too!! I made Kevin listen for a while, but other apparently other people can't appreciate you like you can yourself.
Judi-CAJ said…
Wonderful Deborah! I guess it is kind of like looking through old sketchbooks. Other people go..HuH? ....but it makes sense to me! Have fun re-living those memories. I can hardly wait for the blogs! YOU WILL publish a book one day..I just know it!
Bethany said…
I think you're kinda a big deal too!! :) I would LOVE to read some of your stuff!
I have journals from when I was in 6th grade, and they seriously crack me up!

Deborah, you should absolutely write a book. Your posts are HILARIOUS, and you're such a great writer! I get dibs on one of the first copies, ok?

:D
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll keep you posted! (Post...blog posted?! Pun intended!)
megan said…
Thank you for sharing with me from your Nicaragua journal... makes me want to go back and find mine!

Popular Posts