Friday, August 3, 2012

Nursing Poncho

Today Daisy slept more than usual throughout the day. While she slept I worked on several photo projects (like the baby book), but I still had free time. I spent most of my free time this week sleeping, watching Drop Dead Diva, and reading Storm of Swords. Today I wanted to do something different, something productive...like a quick sewing project!


This is a great nursing cover that Zane's cousin gave me. It's by First Years. I like the full coverage and the poncho style. However, it's 100% polyester, which doesn't breathe. When I use it, Daisy's body heat creates a sauna-like atmosphere that leaves us both sweating. Plus, the polyester retains a weird old milk smell. It reminds me of when I used to work at Chick Fil A and made milkshakes and the ice dream would splatter on me and smell old and gross. I couldn't ever get the smell out of my uniform either. 


Basically, the polyester wasn't working, so I made my own nursing cover using this one as a pattern. 


I bought this fabric a long time ago, but I've never figured out a good use for it...until now! 


I cut out my sections, pinned and sewed them together. Then I found muted pink bias tape from my collection. I don't particularly like using bias tape, because it requires lots of pinning, but the outcome is so neat and clean.


My little baby slept next to me while I pinned and sewed. She never woke up from the sewing machine, even though I was sewing very choppily. There was also a thunderstorm that didn't rouse her. I hope her sleeping habits stay this way. 

She used to be fine on her back, but now she prefers to sleep on her tummy.
My other little baby slept on the other side of me. Two little munchkins just hanging out while mommy works on a sewing project.


Anyways, here's the final product. The whole project took maybe an hour and a half.

Okay, that fabric kind of looks like a magic eye picture. 

I can't wait to try it out! 

P.S. When I was about halfway through this project, I came across an old sun dress with broken straps and thought it would make a GREAT nursing cover - and I wouldn't have to hem or use bias tape around the bottom edge. I'll let you know if I try it out. 
Post a Comment