Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rocking Chair Cushion Re-do

When we first moved into our house, Zane's aunt gave us several pieces of furniture, including this rocking chair:

She used it with her two babies, who are now tweens/teens. 

I knew I would cover it eventually, but I didn't have any motivation to work on the project until actual nursery plans began forming in my mind. When I got an idea of how I wanted to cover it, I added it to the "To-do before Daisy arrives" list. 

A few months ago, I received a roll of upholstery fabric from my grandma. I'd been looking for a reason to use it, and the rocking chair was perfect.  

I started this project in mid-February by ripping out all the stitches of the floral fabric. Dude. That was hard!!! I've never ripped out industrial-strength stitches. I had to rip them out over the course of a few days, because my hands hurt so bad. Then I had to pause the project, because some serious upholstery buttons were standing in my way. 

A week later, my dad used heavy-duty wire cutters to cut off the upholstery buttons. 

A couple weeks later brings us up to last night, when I laid out the old fabric and cut out my new pieces. 

I used the old fabric as a pattern. I folded over my new fabric right-side in, so I cut both sides of the cushion at one time. 

Rufio chilled out while I worked. He's a perfect sewing companion. He entertains himself, while staying as close to me as possible. Here he is working on an orange juice bottle cap. He loves plastic caps. 

I finished last night with pinning my pieces and setting them aside for future sewing. 

Tonight, I started about 7:00pm and sewed the pieces together. The hardest part was the T on the bottom cushion, but I finally figured it out. It's not perfect, but I'm not a perfectionist, so we're okay. Stuffing the foam was a bit labor-intensive, but I managed that as well. I closed the cushions up by hand-sewing the edges that are hidden in the middle of the chair. 

Here's the final product:


It looks lighter than I thought it would, which I actually like better. You can't really tell in this picture, but it's light green with light pink specks in the middle of each pattern thing. I'm hoping it will look nice with blue nursery walls. Painting the nursery is next! 

Whew! The check list is getting done! Which means Daisy's time is getting closer!! 
Post a Comment