My Etsy Shop - Instagram

The Life of a Cotton Ball

Last weekend I was in Cordele, GA with Booster! We stayed on a cotton farm in a really beautiful farmhouse. It was my first time seeing cotton plants. Old history lessons were flowing through my brain about the old south, the cotton gin, and the slaves who had to work all this stuff by hand.

Here's a close up of the cotton on the plant. It was ready for harvest. It feels just like the stuff you buy, only when you first pick it, it's full of seeds. Hence, the importance of the cotton gin! It was pretty tedious picking the seeds out by hand.

I picked myself a piece of cotton and took the seeds out. I kept rubbing it thinking out amazing God is to create such a lovely thing as cotton. Since I usually buy it in a bag, I forget that it came from the ground.

Where's Rufio? (clue: he's wearing his Booster shirt).

Kayla and I started to twirl the cotton into yarn as we walked back to the house. I now see the importance of the spinning wheel! My fingers hurt by the time we had finished, and we had only twirled three or four "cloves" of cotton together. We were proud of our long piece of yarn. So proud that... 

...Kayla crocheted it!

And there you have it: the life of cotton. From plant to the miniature blanket.

Comments

Judi-CAJ said…
You did not mention how painful it is on your hands when you pick the cotton. I will never forget when my daddy made us pick cotton on the farm....so we would get a good understanding of hard labor and to always be kind to those who did it....and most likely, want to stick with school and not do it ourselves! My hands will NEVER forget that 'cotton pickin' day! I love reading your posts!
Kayla said…
Deb - just saw this post! LOVED spending time with you in GA, and seeing the transformation of our fun cotton sampler. =)

Popular Posts