My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Disheartening Realizations

Yesterday I went to my thought world. I like to travel there while I drive or shower or sit and stare at the wall.

A familiar thought resurfaced: the disheartening realization that no matter what you contribute to society, it and you will eventually be forgotten. Sure, I know that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin (or took credit for it, at least), but I don't know, care about, or love Eli Whitney. He's just a name. It's rare that even a name gets remembered.

Say I fulfill my dreams and make a movie or publish a novel. Whether it's a hit or flop, in a few months/years it'll be old news. Young kids will laugh that older generations ever thought it was cool.

I had been browsing through upcoming movies and was amazed at how many movies an individual actor will work on in a year. It's such an inflated market, and so much work and money go into each film. Still, the people that made it awesome all pass their prime eventually.

Take Cary Elwes. I like him. He's so dreamy in The Princess Bride. He's in a new movie with Natalie Portman, and let's face it: he doesn't look at all like the Wesley we know and love. He will probably never have a roll like that again, nor could he. That was over 15 years ago. That's a timeless movie, but even it might be forgotten in 50 years.

I saw picture of an old actress hanging at Buca Di Beppos on Saturday night. I thought maybe it was Greta Garbo, but even my 80 year-old grandma didn't know who it was, because the actress was before my grandma's time. A familiar face with no name.

Actors, athletes, any performer has an expiration date. And their game, movie, production is only enjoyed for a short period of time.

So I thought, "What's the point? Why am I even trying to do this?"

Except for fun, there's no point if I do it for myself. But I concluded that if I keep my trust in God, my only eternal hope, then whatever plans He has for me on earth will be part of a bigger picture. It doesn't matter what art I create on my own, but what art I create for Him and through Him.

Then when I'm gone and a few generations pass and my name is less remembered than Eli Whitney, it won't matter, because God's plan keeps going. I can know that I completed my part of the story.

Comments

Kathy said…
I am grateful that God said, "I have called you by name, you are mine. (Isaiah 43:1) While it is a joy/privilege/command to complete "our part of the story" with His strength and passion, you are right Deborah. In light of eternity, what truly matters is that He knows my name and that I am His.
Anonymous said…
Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
Anonymous said…
I do not envy you the headache that you will have when you awake. But in the meantime, rest well, and dream of large women.
Unknown said…
Deborah,

I once heard Louie Giglio say that our lifetimes were as short-lived as a match's flame, so the only way to have true meaning was to add our flame to a greater glory. Everything is going to be forgotten except what is done for the eternal fame of God.

I think of that when I wonder what my life is for and mourn over lost dreams and possibilities that will probably never be true. I think this understanding of life and fame's transience is part of the wisdom that comes with age, btw ;) welcome to the club.

Abby

Popular Posts