My Etsy Shop - Instagram

The Help

I know I'm late in the game to be reading this book, but I got it on Thursday and finished it yesterday. So, not counting Saturday, when I didn't read at all, I read the whole thing in a few afternoons. Total page-turner!

I love books that make me wonder about how the characters are doing when I can't be reading. 

The Help is the story of several southern families in 1963-64 Jackson, Mississippi and the domestic working relationships between the white families and their black maids. Stockett tells the story in the first-person voice of three women: two black maids and one white journalist. 

I loved it, though it made me sick at points. I deepened respect for the brave individuals who spearheaded the civil rights movement.  

Stockett's characters are so real. I felt their heartache, fear, warmth, and empowerment.

The story is raw, real and poignant. Stockett weaves humorous and heart-warming moments with mystery and suspense, while propelling a greater story of bravery and hope for change. The plot unwraps gracefully with perfect timing. 

It was great. I loved it, and I think you'll love it too. I only wish there was a sequel. Maybe there will be. 

I can't wait to see the movie!

Comments

Popular Posts