My Etsy Shop - Instagram

This little plague went to the market...

Last week, we went to Publix and there was a display of food for Passover. I usually pass over this section, since I'm not Jewish, but Zane noticed this in the display:

I just stood there saying over and over, "That's so weird."

Satomi saw it and said, "What is that?"

I told her it was a famous story that all Jewish people know (and many other people too). I told the Passover/Exodus story starting with baby Moses in a basket and ending with Pharaoh letting the Hebrews go. It took a while, because we had to stop to define: Jew, Hebrew, Pharaoh, slave, plague, etc.

If you haven't heard this story, it's in the second book of the Bible, Exodus.

She asked if Moses' firstborn was killed in the last plague. I said no, because they put the blood around the door. I explained that this event foreshadows Jesus (Japanese-English dictionary was used for "foreshadow"). Jesus was killed so that we wouldn't die.

Then she said, "Is that why Jesus is called the Lamb of God?"  BINGO!

There I was thinking that plague finger puppets were the weirdest (maybe even stupidest) thing I'd ever seen, and yet their presence in that store provided a way for me to share the gospel. Mysterious ways, people, mysterious ways!

P.S. The "lice" plague should be gnats/flies. Also, one of those plagues looks like a clown. I had to look it up, because I couldn't remember what it really is. You can partially read its label. 10 points if you know it!

Comments

David Bell said…
Hail, right?

Also, it's really awesome how God does stuff like that.
Unknown said…
Has to be hail. And I so would have bought this set! I do a ton of children's work, and this would be a great way for little ones to remember the plagues. I know, I'm a little strange. :)
Lilly said…
not just hail...FLAMING HAIL!
The correct answer is: happy clown flaming hail.
Mrs. T. said…
The Lord can use ANYone and ANY thing to reach others. :)

Popular Posts