My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Fairy Halloween Costume!

Zane and I had big asperations for Halloween this year. Our plans got a little bit foiled, which is okay. Because of this, I was going to dip out on making a costume, but then I remembered that my office is pretty serious about "Harvest Day." Yeah, costume contest, prizes, breakfast at the office, the whole shebang. ("She bangs, she bangs"...anyone? That guy that was famous for a couple months...for singing badly? Nevermind.)

Oh - the big asperations? Well....I can't tell you everything, in case we do it next year. BUT! I'll tell you this: I was going to be a famous fairy. Without my entourage, it doesn't matter what fairy I am, so I decided to go generic for the office party tomorrow.

Generic Fairy Costume!

A few weeks ago I bought a lacy, bright green top and a weird, crocheted-looking muted green top from Thriftko. The muted top was my plan for a fairy skirt. The fabric texture looks like leaves or vines or something. Here it is with Rufio intruding on my picture.

The first thing I did was rip out the sleeves and the seams at the shoulders. I wanted it to be a tube, which would then turn into a skirt.

Then I got a shoelace from Zane, which was a brownish color. I threaded this through the bottom hem of the shirt. I planned on flipping the shirt upside down - the shoelace acting as a drawstring.

Here's a close up of what I mean! I ended up knotting it, but on my first try I used a bow. You can also see the texture of the skirt better in this photo.  

Then I chopped up the bottom of the skirt to look all leafy. I used the pieces that I cut off and sewed them all around the front and back of the skirt, to look more ruffled.

Threw on my bright lacy top, black leggings, and a leather belt and voila. A coworker is letting me borrow wings to finish my fairy outfit. I might do my make up, but I'm kind of a low-key costume-wearer (as in, I like it to be about the clothing, not the make-up and hair...although, those are important too).

I can double this skirt for a Tarzan/Jane theme, or lost boy, or maybe an elf. And I can definitely save it for when Zane and I pull out the big guns. Perhaps next year.


Comments

Popular Posts