My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Hornet Harvest

We had a pretty sizeable hornet nest hanging from one of the eaves on the back patio. I was able to avoid it easily and figured I'd eventually get wasp spray and kill it.

Then one day, I went around the corner and BAM! There was a HUGE hornet colony about a foot away from the first one. I did not even dare get near that one. I'm talking 20-50 hornets (okay, so maybe like 15-25) covering the honeycomb nest and resting around it.

Finally last night Zane sprayed the nest. The above photo is post killing. When I put Rufio out this morning, I saw there were dead hornets covering the patio floor. I actually felt like a murder for killing their entire family - I wiped out their lineage from the face of the earth.

Here's an example. Does it tug on your heart strings like it did mine?

When I returned from work today. The bodies were gone. All but two bodies were laying on my patio floor. Something or someone ate them. It was either a pack of hungry lizards or this guy:
I need a surveillance camera.

Comments

Adam said…
I have to say it doesn't tug on my heartstrings one bit. NOT ONE BIT!!
The picture of Rufio does though.

- Bethany

Popular Posts