My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Date Night: German Food and Painting

After about a month in our new town in our new schedule, Zane and I set aside time for a date night. This month has been full of adjustments for us, and we desperately needed designated time together.

One adjustment is Zane's school schedule. He's in a very intense, accelerated program, which means studying every night. I'm at home all day with Daisy, which means long days of toddler conversation and potty training. At night, I'm happy to have quiet time to sew or read or whatever, while Zane studies. There's so much to say about all of those things, but this post is about our date night.

We dropped off Daisy at grandma's house at 4pm, and went grocery shopping. Ha, not very date-like, but I hate doing it by myself. Two people make it go so much faster (especially if one person waits at the deli, while the other gets the rest of the food).

After a quick stop at home, we set out to find a local restaurant in our new area, Brandon, Florida. We stopped into Dellas After Dark, and it was SUPER nice - way too nice and expensive for us. We're not opposed to steak dinners, but we prefer to plan that kind of special evening in advance.

So we went across the street to Taste of Berlin (FB page). I have never had German food before, and was a little wary, but I was feeling adventurous, so we sat down.


It was AMAZING! I had the Koenigsberger Klopse, which is meatballs in a caper sauce with mashed potatoes. Zane had Schnitzel "Jaegar Art," which was a pan fried pork with spaetzle and mushroom gravy. Also delicious. They had great service and atmosphere. It was a little more than we like to spend, but not unreasonable. We definitely want to go back and try other things on the menu!

After dinner, we drove down to Valrico (next town over) to The Pottery Patch, where we painted plates.



I had been wanting to paint a "special occasion plate" for a long time to use at birthdays, etc. I convinced Zane to participate by painting a special occasion dessert plate. When I was a kid we had a birthday cup, and it was always so special to get to use it. Eventually, we'll find one of those too, but this is a good start.

I went with my typical flowers and paisleys, because that's just what I like to paint. Zane chose some fun stamps and shapes. The plates' first use will be Daisy's 2nd birthday in a couple weeks.

We stayed up entirely too late, but it was fun to relax, have grown-up conversation, and hang out for a few hours in our new city.

I recommend both of these places!

Comments

John said…
Jaeger Art? Were you expecting something more Pacific Rim than the pork you got?
Apparently, the traditional German dish is with veal, but veal is too expensive here, so they use pork instead, thus they have to say it's "like" the other dish. At least, that was was our waitress' explanation for "Art."

Popular Posts