Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On My Sprained Ankle

I have lived a very safe life. Until Friday, I had never broken, fractured, sprained or twisted anything.

Friday night I was walking down a dark staircase on my way to Zane's brother's rehearsal dinner, and I missed the last stair. Instead of tripping and laughing and going on with my life, I rolled my ankle inward, and landed in a heap of silent tears. It was painful.

That's the bad news, but here's the good news:

  • I missed a step on the short flight of stairs before a landing. I could have missed a step on the longer flight and fell down the whole thing. 
  • Zane's grandparents were in front of me, but had already turned the corner. I could have taken them with me if they had been closer or I had missed a stair on the long flight. 
  • I only sprained an ankle. No breaks, no head injuries, no any other bad thing. 

The rest of the weekend was spent with people carrying me around, mostly my burly husband. Thank the Lord for him. I even danced a little at the wedding on my good leg.

Siblings! Us with the bride and groom at the rehearsal dinner. I love being friends with family. 

This injury has also exposed two flaws in my character.:

  1. I don't like asking for help. I like being able to do stuff on my own, but I physically cannot do things right now. It's pretty humbling. 
  2. I'm embarrassed by my disability. Zane and I went to Bealls on Saturday, and he wheeled me around in a wheelchair. I was so embarrassed to be in a wheelchair! Then I felt ashamed for being embarrassed! 
Everyone has been so helpful to me. I can't thank them enough. Zane carried me around and took really good care of me Sunday night, when my exhaustion was at it's peak. He unpacked for us and helped me shower and wrapped my foot with ice. I'm so blessed to have a husband like him. 

Monday was rough. My body was already tired from the weekend of holding onto Zane, while he carried me. We only own one crutch, so getting ready for work was really difficult. Then getting to my desk was even more difficult. I just sat there and cried. My dear coworker was so sweet and wheeled me around at work. She arranged to get me another crutch and suggested that I take Tuesday and Wednesday off to recuperate, so that's just what I'm doing. 

My mom has also been really helpful while Zane is at work. I am seriously blessed to live so close to family. 

Here I am in bed on Tuesday. I slept all morning, which is a pretty good indication of how tired my body is. My arms, my good leg, even my torso muscles ache from all the extra work they've been doing to get me around the last five days. My ankle isn't as swollen as it was, so hopefully I'll be back to walking by the end of the week. 

It's such a minor injury, but it has major effects on one's life. 
Post a Comment