My Etsy Shop - Instagram

A Locked-Out Remedy

Wednesday morning I left the doctor's office with an authoritative command to lower my stress. I've never considered myself a stressed-out person, but there have been seasons of life that test my anxiety levels. I guess I'm in one now.

Yesterday, I got home from work, threw my stuff down, and walked back outside to water the plants. Since it was a blazin' 97 degrees Fahrenheit, I pulled the door closed, meaning to leave it a crack open, but it closed all the way. This door has a tricksy lock that locks itself all the time, so I immediately knew what I had done. I tried the handle in vain.

Zane had just texted me saying he wouldn't be home for a while. My phone and keys were now inside. No way of contacting anyone. No breeze. 97 degrees. Blazing sun. Work clothes.

In a semi-shaded swing across the street, I sat for a while, thinking and praying about whatever came to mind. Eventually, I realized I had two choices: sit here until Zane gets home, which could be hours away, or walk five miles to my parent's house.

I chose parent's house.

People don't really walk anywhere in Orlando. Especially in the suburbs. We drive. That's it. So, I felt out of place walking alongside the busy state road in my work clothes. Walking through my parent's neighborhood, I sang to myself and chuckled at my situation.

My fingers and feet were swollen, due partly to poor circulation and partly to bad shoes for walking. I sweated and needed the restroom. When I arrived, they gave me food, water, laughter, and free use of the toilet.

This whole situation had potential to be stressful. But it actually forced me to take a break from life and have an adventure, even if a small one. When the doctor told me to lower my stress, she probably didn't mean lock yourself out of the house. However, that 30 minute walk to my parent's house was the most lighthearted I've felt all week.

Comments

Joel R said…
So you "walked" 5 miles in 30 min? That's like 10mph. Think we'll be nominating you for the next Olympics.
Unknown said…
Hi Deborah! :)
I can definitely relate on many levels! Last week I went to an art festival in heels. (Not on purpose, let me say!) Eventually I just walked around barefoot. I fit in with all the hippies, so it was okay. :-P But I totally understand needing to take time to breathe in the suffocating craziness life. God is good like that, isn't He? He knew this little adventure was just what you needed. :)
Kathy said…
Though unplanned, there's nothing like an adventure to release some stress, especially since you had a good attitude!
Unknown said…
haha, I like what mtech said. Partly because it's true. The average person walks 3 miles in an hour. I can't even run 5 miles in 30 minutes!!

But it reminds me of the time Matt Armand and I walked through downtown Orlando (in the bad area) to get to a UCF game a long time ago. I have never been so freaked out before. I was convinced he would be killed and the authorities would find my body in a dumpster somewhere.

in fact, I think I will blog about this story, because it's funny.
Lilly said…
what a beautiful story! way to turn a negative into a positive.

Popular Posts