My Etsy Shop - Instagram

The Hunger Games

This weekend, Zane and I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The hold line at the library is ridiculously long, so I figured it would be a long time until I'd get to read it.

But a miracle happened! My sister put it on hold a long time ago and got it last week. She and my bro-in-law read it, and then she passed it to my parents, who both read it. Zane and I got it on Friday and finished it Saturday night.

Yes, it can be read that fast. You don't want to put it down.

It's the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year-old girl who lives in District 12, the coal mining district of Panem, the post-apocalyptic oppressive-government-run country that was at one time the United States.
 
One way the government keeps a strict hand on the people is through The Hunger Games. Every year, one boy and one girl from each district are chosen to compete in a death match. They're dropped in an unknown location and left to fight it out until one kid remains. 

It's like a modern, government-orchestrated Lord of the Flies scenario. Disturbing, yes, but also awesome. 

The writing style is very interesting too. Collins wrote it in first-person present tense. This is the first time I've ever read anything like that. You're in the mind of Katniss in the moment. "I run to the lake," etc.

I didn't know if I liked present tense at first, because there were a lot of fragments! But I soon found that it kept the action fresh and intense.
by Briarthorn 

The above picture is fan art by Briarthorn found on deviantart. I think it's a fantastic portrayal of Katniss and Peeta, the chosen kids from District 12.

The Hunger Games is also part of a trilogy! My sister-in-law owns the whole set. No library hold list!

To make things even better, they're currently filming the movie versions of the books. They've already cast the main characters, the list of whom can be found on imdb here. I think we can expect the first film in 2012.

Here's an interview with Jennifer Lawrence, the actress cast as Katniss.
Everyone I've talked to who has read this book has liked it. If you can get your hands on a copy, read it! I think this series has the potential to gain a Twilight or Harry Potter following.

Comments

I love these books! Great choice, Deborah!! :) Also, if you want any info about the movies, check out thehoborg.blogspot.com

It has the DL. lol
megan said…
I am pretty sure they are filming the movie right now here in WNC.
Kimberly said…
They're filming the movie in NC this summer; I recently applied to be an extra ;)
Mrs. T. said…
I've been wondering what these books are about. Evan just read the first one. Thanks for the post!
Unknown said…
I just bought the trilogy for my kindle...upon your recommendation. I'm sure I'll love them!! <3 :)

Popular Posts