My Etsy Shop - Instagram

But what will people think?

How many times have you heard yourself or someone else say, "I don't care what people think"?

I'd like to call that person out on a bald-faced lie.

I realized yesterday how much I care what other people think about me. It's a lot. In fact, I'm wondering what my readers are thinking of me right now.

Think about it:
  • I tell a joke, so people think I'm funny
  • I dress clean and nice, so people think I'm pretty.
  • I say clever things, so people think I'm smart.
Many of my emotions are reactions to what people think. Here are a few:
  • I'm offended if they think I'm stupid.
  • I'm super encouraged if someone thinks I'm swell.
  • I feel ugly if it's implied I have no style.
  • When I feel like I can't please people, I don't even like being around them.
Most of the time people don't come out and say what they're thinking about another person. So, much of my reaction-emotion is based on my perception of what people think.

Basically, I like to be liked. I also came to the conclusion that I'm not alone, since I've seen similar emotion-reactions in people around me. Everyone wants others to think they're great.

How do you really, truly let go of what other people think?

I asked myself the question, "What is my purpose?"
To my utter relief, the answer was not, "To make all people like you."
No, my purpose is to worship God.

I have to break the mold and really act in a way that proves I don't care what people think. I have to only care what God thinks, because He's the reason I exist.

I debated a while over whether or not to even post this, since I'm worried about what my readers think. Everyone has opinions on everything, and it's too draining to worry about other people's opinions of me. But, oh, the power of suggestion.

I'll close with the words of a desperate girl, "don't judge me!"

Comments

Lyds said…
We have been discussing being an Approval Addict in our small groups. Its definitely a common theme, and I feel equally curious about how to overcome. Here is one verse out book gave us that is great:
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10

Popular Posts