My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Ender's Game

Last week I pulled Ender's Game from our bookshelf. Zane's friend Jimbo gave it to him in 2004, and I was looking for a good read. Jimbo has raved about it on more than one occasion.

I didn't like it at first. I read for days, and though I couldn't put it down, I resented its seeming redundancy. I said to a friend, "This better have a good ending." And it did. It really did. The plot is not as intense as modern books, but it's certainly enough to keep you reading.

It's the story of young Ender Wiggin, boy genius, born to save the Earth from an invading alien population. The story follows his advancement through battle school to the point when he finally faces the buggers.

Card's futuristic Earth is unsettling. His characters are raw and real. I loved Ender from the beginning, and I think you will too.

Also, Ender's Game won the two most prestigious awards in science fiction when it first came out in 1985.

For those who prefer live-action, Orson Scott Card wrote the screenplay in 2003, which Summit Entertainment has apparently just picked up. You can follow the movie progress here. It's projected to be released in 2013.

I recommend this book. It's a little violent and would probably appeal to boys more than girls. Sorry, for the stereotype. There's no romance, but there are plenty of detailed anti-gravity battle scenes.

I totally recommend this book, and I'd love to chat about it with someone, so get reading!!

Comments

Popular Posts