My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Embellished and Up-cycled T-shirts

I've been wanting to try this five-strand braid that I saw on Make It Love It (I've really been enjoying her blog lately). That's how I got to this project.

I've had these shirts since college. They're incredibly soft and comfortable, but I think they're kind of bland and boring. Since they coordinate so well together, I decided to combine them to make a cute shirt.
I marked a new neckline in chalk on the blue one. 

I cut five strips off the bottom of the pink shirt, and followed the five strand braid tutorial (the link is at the top of the page, if you're interested).

This part was a little difficult: figuring out the best way to sew it to the shirt. 

Looks good to me. I just noticed that I didn't follow my chalk marks accurately. Oh well!

I attached it by sewing a not-quite-zig-zag stitch (it's number 4 on my machine), along the bottom of the braid. 

Then I cut off the old collar, close to the stitch. 

Using the scraps from the hem of the pink shirt, I made this twisted rosette. I hand sewed it on. 

I trimmed the excess pink things and sewed everything in place. 

I'll probably need to press the bottom of the shirt (wrinkles!), but other than that, it's good to go!

Cute!

Comments

Popular Posts