My Etsy Shop - Instagram

A Land Remembered

Happy Fourth of July, everybody! I may be in NYC, but my heart is in Florida, my beloved home state. Today's book recommendation is A Land Remembered by Patrick D. Smith.

This fantastic historical fiction is set in old-timey Florida, which is patriotic enough for me for today's Independence Day post!

It's the story of one family in three generations, begining when the patriarch moves to Florida in the early 1800's and ending in the 1970's when his grandson is an old man.

Throughout the book, you see Florida change and develop from swampland, to cattle country, to metropolis.

All the natural annoyances that we deal with today (heat, sun, frost, hurricanes, mosquitoes, alligators, etc.) were threats to life 200 years ago. It's fascinating to see a glimpse of what life was like in Florida back then. No one really learns about Florida during the Civil War era in school.

I highly recommend this book. Several people recommended it to me before I finally read it, and I haven't heard a bad review since. You're sure to fall in love with the characters, their adventures and everything about old Florida (except the aforementioned annoyances of the climate, of course).

Comments

Popular Posts