My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Tipping the Scales

Recently my conversations about acting have gone something like this:

Nice person (NP): "When is your next play?"
Me: "Oh, I'm actually doing film acting, so it's just based on when I get cast for films."
NP: "What kind of films?"
Me: "Mostly student films and independent stuff."
NP: "Do you get paid?"
Me: "No. That's my goal though. I don't want it to just be an expensive hobby."

Readers, let it be known: the scale is tipping.

(That's the scale of expense and income, which was heavy on the expense side.)

Sunday night I got a call from a friend who's in an independent, short film where the lead female had to drop due to schedule conflicts. My friend suggested me to the director. Two days and a ton of emails later, I auditioned and was cast. Yay for networking!

AND it comes with a paycheck! Woot! It's not a Hollywood-size amount, but I'm also not SAG or famous or you know, worth of that kind of pay. However, it's more than enough to cover my gas costs, so we're talking, minor profit (not minor prophet! Get it? Hosea?...heh...Bible joke).

I would have done it without pay, but money is just icing on the cake.

I'm super excited about this film. It's the true story of a young man's battle with cancer. It is a beautiful script. I cried while reading it, but that's no surprise. I'm a crier.

Bottom line: I'm seriously thrilled.

For now, the scale is still heavy on expense, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it's growing, and it'll be an oak tree some day. So, follow your heart and look both ways before crossing the street.

Comments

Kayla said…
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! And your bible joke...cracks me up!

Popular Posts