My Etsy Shop - Instagram

Swiftly into Conversation

In the past, I've given Taylor Swift a hard time. I don't know if it's that avoid-the-trends elitism or exhaustion from hearing her songs over-played on the radio. All I know is that from the first time I heard "Romeo," I was against her.

Her songs are catchy though, so I've often had them stuck in my head. This led to defiantly rewriting the lyrics.

Actually, lately I've really enjoyed her new song, "Back to December." I feel like it's more authentic and real than a story about fictional teenage lovers. But this post isn't about that.

This post is about how on our first night with Satomi, we learned that her favorite music artist is Taylor Swift. Her favorite song is "You Belong With Me," the very song which I loathed so much that I rewrote the lyrics in defense of the other girl (see above link).

It was like that scene in Caddyshack, where that guy is in the proshop saying, "This hat is so ugly. Why do they sell this hat! It's hideous." Then someone walks by wearing the hat, and he says, "Oh, but on you it looks great."

I had a decision to make. I could either verbally tear Taylor Swift apart, or I could jump on the bandwagon. I swallowed my anti-T.Swift pride and silently thanked Mix 105.1 for playing all her songs all the time, because when Satomi hummed the tune of her favorite song, I was able to pick it up and sing the words, "Why can't you seeeeeeee, you belong to meeeee?" Then there was laughter and bonding.

Moral of the story: keep up with pop culture so that you can relate to your Japanese exchange students.

Extra tip: "Hey, you, I don't like your girlfriend" by Avril would have helped too, but I didn't know that one as well. Mix, can you get on that?

Comments

Popular Posts