My Etsy Shop - Instagram

My Morning Smoothie

In early August I bought a ginormous watermelon for a family party. We didn't even eat half of it, so I ended up with LOTS of watermelon. After a little research, I discovered you can freeze it! So I did. I like to use frozen fruit in smoothies (because it tends to defrost all mushy), so I tried a watermelon smoothie and fell in love.

A few days later, I posted that on facebook and got lots of responses about things to add in my smoothies, like spinach and oatmeal. I tried green smoothies before, and gave up because the spinach was too strong.

Green smoothie fail from earlier this year. I never blogged about it, because it was so gross.
Maybe it was the pears. 
I gave spinach another try. I also added oatmeal per a friend's recommendation. I'd never heard of that before, but it's actually pretty good! I've been having one of these every morning for breakfast for a couple months now. I needed a hands-free breakfast so I could care for Daisy. Plus, it keeps me full until lunch!

The ultimate smoothie
Yummy Smoothie:
1/4 cup of frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup of raw oats
1 cup of water
2 heaping spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt
2-4 frozen/fresh strawberries
4 cuts of watermelon (2'' cubes)


Those are approximate measurements. The watermelon gives it a slushy texture, but the oatmeal keeps it smooth. It's not as sweet as smoothies from smoothie shops, but it's healthy and yummy enough for me! The color gets all weird because of the ingredients, so it ends up being a greenish brown, but that's okay. 

It only takes a few minutes to make, and usually Daisy falls asleep to the sound of the blender. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts