My Etsy Shop - Instagram

The Story of Rufio

Once upon a time I was mad at God and the world. This was mostly because I couldn't get pregnant. I was getting pretty lonely and needy for someone to love/take care of. I had been wanting to get a dog for years, but it was never the right time. College was too busy. Then Zane and I lived in an apartment where we weren't allowed to have pets, not even a fish. Then we got a house, but we took a three-week road trip. Finally, at the end of the summer it seemed like the right time to get a dog.

I knew we couldn't afford a premium puppy, and I wanted to rescue a dog instead of promote over-population of animals. I searched SPCA places, but none of the dogs seemed right for us. I searched craigslist, but was having a hard time finding the "right one."

Our criteria: male, no shedding, under $100.

I kept getting frustrated because nothing was coming up. Saturday morning I was in the shower thinking about life, as I often do, and I thought about my list of criteria. I felt hopeless about finding a dog. Next thing I knew, I was praying that God would give it to me. I hadn't talked to Him for a while, because I was pretty convinced He didn't care about my needs (based on the lack of baby, of course).

I said, "God, here's what I want and I want it today. Can't I at least have a dog? A dog?!"

I found one that day that was $200 and asked the lady to come down on the price. She said she'd get back with me. Sunday evening she called and let me know that someone else purchased her dog. I was pretty bummed.

Monday morning I was completely depressed with life. I dejectedly got on craigslist and saw a small black dog. I texted the owner and by 5:00pm, Rufio was in my arms. He was $110 with his crate, food, dish, toys, etc.

Rufio bonded with me immediately.

Tuesday morning I drove to work in tears. I was overwhelmed with how perfectly God provided. I couldn't say He didn't care anymore, because He did, He does. He didn't answer my prayer in my time frame, but He answered it in a better way than I predicted.

I think He does that a lot.

Sometimes I have to fight off feeling lame because other people have babies and I have a dog. But you know, this dog jump-started me out of a period of  depression and spiritual silence. I had a reason to get out of bed, if only to walk him. He made me laugh with his antics. He made me feel needed. He's pretty important to me, even if he is just a dog.

Comments

Mrs. T. said…
It's only a matter of time... :) I was 34 when I had Evan, 39 when I had Daniel. The perfect time for me. :)
Audrey Haut said…
Love your post, Debra :) Your honesty is inspiring.

Popular Posts