My Etsy Shop - Instagram

People need people


No one likes a gossip, but everyone likes to be "in the know."

In a recent trip to the Biltmore Estate (see photo), Zane and I were discussing the lives of those who lived in the large home with our friend Megan. Megan said they spent much of their time in correspondence. We mused that they were big gossips like in Jane Austen novels. They had nothing to do but talk about other people.

Last night I was with a bunch of friends and we were discussing our favorite TV shows. Most of them were shows that included character drama. One friend said, "I just want to know what's going on with these people." I've felt the same way. I was kind of sad when the show Friends ended, because I was always curious what would have happened in their lives. I feel the same remorse when I finish a great book series. I wish I knew more about what happens with the characters.

Today, we still want to know what's going on in the lives of people we know (duh- blogs, facebook, etc.), but there's a substitute for some of it (or an addendum) with fictional characters. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, it's just an interesting comparison.

Comments

Unknown said…
I read this interesting article last night about increased social networking and web time being linked to depression. I tried to go back and find the article, but the link has escaped me.

Anyway, I found it both interesting and a little sobering. I spend way too much time on Facebook. And I wasn't sure if it was because I was depressed OR if it could cause depression. It's been my sad truth lately that without roommates, and only seeing my few friends on weekends, I use the internet, TV shows, and online dating as my source of social substitute.

Which is lame.

Really lame.

But, what do you do? I'm trying to "get out there" more, but I really miss our friends network from Orlando. As much as I love St. Pete. It's just not the same without all of you.

Popular Posts